Updates every Thursday!

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Don't Starve

Genre: Adventure, Indie, Simulation

Developer: Klei Entertainment

Publisher: Klei Entertainment

System: Windows, Mac, Linux





Day One, Morning:
I have been brought to the middle of a strange forest by a very tall man. It could also be possible that I am just very short. I really don’t know. He is like a game show host in his dapper pinstripe suit and slicked-back hair. He says I don’t look so good and leaves without even offering a hand. I get to work.


Day One, Midday:
It is very clear that I will need tools to survive. I gather up some materials and fashion a crude axe. Now I can shop down trees. The sun is as fleeting as the demon bunnies that run screaming for the safety of their dark holes. I have spent the better part of the day gathering berries, grass, and wood. Night has come too quickly.

Day One, Nighttime:
I have enough materials to build a small fire. It starts with just a little grass and a few twigs, but is soon roaring. Then it’s too much! Small patches of grass and nearby trees burst into flame revealing the area that was once blackened with shadows. I think it would be unwise to stray too far from the fire. There is something evil out there. I just haven’t quite discovered what.


Happy Thoughts: Don’t Starve is very fun to play, but it borrows heavily from Minecraft and other games of that sort. It’s like if Terraria and Tim Burton had a child.

Sad Thoughts: It’s hard to get moving quickly. I have had nothing to fight against in the early stages of the game, but I have a feeling that by the time I get to the point where I can fight things I will have invested so much time in playing that I won’t want to risk dying.

The Bottom Line: If you like survival games this will be fun.

1 comment:

  1. I had a different 10 minute experience. I had no instruction and just ran around, picking up what seemed to be useless and eating things that didn't do much for my appetite. Then I stopped playing. It was as exciting as that.

    ReplyDelete